Looking for funny facts about soccer? Here are some of our best for you to enjoy …
1) Just before the World Cup in 1966, the solid gold Jules Rimet trophy was stolen. After a few frantic days of searching, the cup was found by a dog called Pickles, out for a walk in South London. I bet the organizers were pleased to get their paws on the trophy again!
2) English referee Martin Sylvester sent himself off in 1998 after punching a player during a Sunday League game … “right that’s it, I’m off. I displayed unsporting behavior, my name is going in the book.”
3) Guiseppe Meazza of Italy’s shorts fell down as he was taking a penalty shot in the 1938 World Cup. He must have been the butt of all the jokes that year.
4) There were a total of 20 red cards were shown during a match in Paraguay between Sportivo Ameliano and General Caballero, leaving just 2 players on the pitch. To me, to you, to me, to you … well there’s nobody else!
5) The most goals ever scored in one match by a single professional player is 13. Archie Thomson of Australia broke the record in a World Cup qualifying match against American Samoa. Australia won the match 31-0. When do you think American Samoan’s realized they were going to lose? I like to think they were still optimistic at 25-0.
6) Due to a superstition, France captain Laurent Blanc kissed goalkeeper Fabian Barthez’s shaved head before each match of the 1998 World Cup. Get a room guys, we are trying to play football here!
7) The Liberian soccer team escaped imprisonment in 1980 by drawing 0-0 with Gambia. Allegedly the Liberian government had threatened to lock them up if they lost … “What are you in for? Multiple homicides? Me, I’m just not very good at soccer”.
8) Funny professional soccer player names include Johnny Moustache, Norman Conquest, and our favorite Wolfgang Wolf who was the manager of Wolfsberg.
9) A Scottish Cup game between Falkirk and Inverness Thistle in 1979 was postponed 29 times because of bad weather. It was Scotland … were they really waiting for good weather?!
10) A soccer match in Tanzania was postponed in 1978 because the referee was arrested on the pitch and accused of smoking marijuana. I know people often want the referee to relax, but this guy took it a bit too far!