Looking for funny Texas facts? Here are some of our best …
1) The coolest person ever to have come out of Texas is Chuck Norris. Now there have been many facts documented about Chuck but this one is our favorite; whilst traveling in France, Chuck went out for a bike ride and accidentally won the Tour de France. It’s true. If you don’t believe me, Google it.
2) There is a place in Texas called Kickapoo. I dread to think how the name came about. I certainly don’t want to watch a re-enactment.
3) The Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas employs the most medical school Nobel laureates in the world. This center of academic excellence is very impressive especially considering that other well-known Texans include George ‘Dubya’ Bush, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and the Jonas Brothers, all of whom can barely string a sentence together.
4) Talented movie director and Texas native Wes Anderson often features unrequited love as a theme in his films. Something else that often features … actually ALWAYS features, is Owen Wilson in a leading role. Wilson has been in every one of Anderson’s 7 movies. I think he’s trying to tell you something Owen. Always unrequited love, always Owen Wilson. You do the math. He wants you.
5) Dr Pepper was invented in Texas in 1885 when someone accidentally drank a can containing a mixture of petrol, acid, mud, salt and sugar. I know, disgusting right?? … OK the second part isn’t true, I just think Dr Pepper tastes weird.
6) Mulletted hard man, Duane “Dog the Bounty Hunter” Chapman was born in Pampa, Texas. The TV show about his life is certainly entertaining, but you have to wonder why the hardened criminals are so scared when they see an old man in a leather vest with a haircut like Barbra Streisand jogging towards them! (Only joking Dog, you are awesome!)
7) Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, perhaps the world’s most infamous bank robbers who caused havoc in the 1930’s, came from Texas. I wonder how they would fare in today’s modern banks “yeehaww … gimmie your darn tootin 4 digit pin-number mister so I can withdraw some dang loot from that there high interest ISA account …”
8) Houston’s annual Livestock Show and Rodeo is the largest rodeo in the world with over 1.25 million paying audience members in 2011. I never realized watching people getting a very sore butt on the back of an angry bull would be so popular! I always want the bull to win … is that wrong?
9) Historically, Texas has always been the cattle rancher’s state and the home of the cowboy. Unfortunately, with more than 27% of Texans now officially classed as obese, you are more likely to see a ‘beef burger’ than ‘beef herder’ these days!
10) In the early 1990’s Austin Texas was named as the “live music capital of the world” … by some official global vote I presume? …. No, it was by Austin City Council! Well if we can all just make up our own awards for what ever we want then my kitchen shall be known as the “most amazing, inspiring, bodacious place on earth” from now on. I’ll get a sign made.