Looking for funny facts about the bible? Here is a selection of our best for you to enjoy …
1) Drinking alcohol, gambling or betting are not condemned in the Bible – in fact alcohol gets quite a good press in the Good Book. Look at it this way, there’s sex (immaculate conception), drugs (water into wine) and rock ‘n’ roll (Jesus moving the boulder from in front of his tomb)!
2) The Bible can be read aloud in 70 hours. If you don’t believe me…I’m free most of next week.
3) The 1631 edition of the King James Bible is known as The Wicked Bible because of a missing word. In Exodus 20 verse 14, the word “not” was left out which meant it read “Thou shalt commit adultery”!
4) The first translation of the Bible into English was carried out in 1382 AD, by John Wycliffe. A momentous achievement, and FFF is sure that he’d be happy to know his name lived on with 1990s Haitian chart-toppers, The Fugees.
5) Methuselah is said to be the oldest man who ever lived. Documented in Genesis, he lived to be 969 years old. That’d annoy the pension fund owners!
6) Approximately 40 men were involved in writing the Bible, over a period of 1,600 years. They must have been relieved once it was finished!
7) The most prolific writer of the Old Testament was Moses, who wrote the first five books. The Apostle Paul, though, managed 14 books, which amounts to over half of the New Testament. And God gets all the credit!
8) The shortest verse in the Bible is “Jesus wept”. Cool.
9) Thomas Cranmer (1489-1556), Archbishop of Canterbury, is said to have memorized the entire Bible, and managed to achieve it in only three months. He would have been a certainty for The X Factor!
10) Between 2.5 billion and 6 billion Bibles are thought to have been sold. Now, if only Moses and Paul had thought about a lucrative book deal, maybe serialization in the dailies, or film rights?